Whether finding a place to have a picnic, exploring the city’s attractions, or simply wanting to get outside, the trails and parks in Charleston, SC, are excellent items to add to your vacation itinerary. Immersing yourself in nature can seem challenging in an urban environment, but Charleston is home to several beautiful corridors and public spaces offering scenic views and outdoor recreation. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the options, don’t worry! The team at YOURPAD created a great selection of trails and parks to help plan your Charleston getaway!
Excellent Trails and Parks in Charleston, SC
Arguably the best way to discover your favorite places in Charleston is by traversing the various trails and parks. After all, there are plenty of landmarks and things to do. Here are some of our favorites.
- Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site offers historical and natural attractions with trails winding through beautiful forest marshes and 80 acres of park gardens—perfect for an afternoon stroll or bike ride. Did we mention they have bike rentals?
- James Island County Park is an expansive park featuring miles of paved trails for non-motorized transportation. It also has several picnic areas with tables and grills, a climbing wall, a playground, an 18-hole disc golf course, and a splash zone for those hot summer days.
- The West Ashley Greenway is a local favorite that brings you over ten miles west to Stono River County Park and the iconic Lowlands wetlands surrounding the city.
- Hampton Park has a lot to like as one of the largest Charleston, SC, parks. For starters, their floral display is the city’s most elaborate, and the park is also known as a prevalent event spot as many people will hold weddings and family reunions there.
- Caw Caw Interpretive Center is technically outside Charleston but still well worth visiting. This wildlife preserve features several trails that meander through marshes, swamps, and old rice fields. It’s a fantastic spot for birdwatching and wildlife observation.
- Palmetto Islands County Park is another excellent park outside the Charleston city limits that is just too good to pass up. This 943-acre behemoth boasts several boardwalks, bicycle paths, and picnic areas with grills, perfect for a family outing. Angling enthusiasts will appreciate the tidal creek fishing opportunities, while kiddos will love the Big Toy playground. There is also a kayak launch, grass volleyball court, snack bar, and bicycle and pedal boat rentals.
- Magnolia Plantation and Gardens offers scenic walking trails through cypress swamps and along the Ashley River. You can also take a boat tour to explore the plantation’s scenic waterways.
Charleston Vacations Rentals from YOURPAD
Now that you have a few Charleston, SC, parks and trails to consider, it’s time to start thinking about your vacation rental options. With a top-tier collection of unique accommodations located in Charleston’s best spots, YOURPAD promises to deliver an excellent getaway solution for you and your crew. To find out more or to book your stay, please visit us online or call 849-410-8991 today!